Saudi Arabia sends counterrevolutionary goons to Bahrain
Saudi Arabia will split its security forces, lately much occupied with suppressing protest at home, and will send them to Bahrain to help put down the popular uprising there.
Witnesses said security forces surrounded the protesters’ tent compound, shooting tear gas and rubber bullets at the activists in the largest effort to clear the square since a crackdown last month that left four dead after live ammunition was fired.
Activists tried to stand their ground yesterday and chanted “Peaceful, peaceful” as the crowd swelled into thousands, with protesters streaming to the square to reinforce the activists’ lines, forcing the police to pull back by the early afternoon.
At Bahrain University, Shia demonstrators and government supporters held competing protests that descended into violence when plainclothes pro-government backers and security forces forced students blocking the campus main gate to seek refuge in classrooms and lecture halls, the Associated Press reported.
- Glued to events in Libya, Yemen and Bahrain – Boing Boing
- Music download analysis reveals mood of Bahrain 'Triumphant …
- Bahrain: anti-government protests continue despite brutal …
- Bahrain: in protest crackdown, regime appears to have tightened …
- Bahraini army murders peaceful demonstrators – Boing Boing